Storing passwords for panel plugin

Simon Naunton snaunton at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 02:27:49 CEST 2009

I am writing a plugin which requires me to store some passwords.
Storing password in a plain text rc file is not secure, so I have been
using gnome-keyring (it's installed with Xubuntu anyway...). However,
as there is no panel plugin signal for when a plugin is removed from
the panel, when it is removed it leaves this data in the keyring. I
could write a hack to compare rc files against gnome-keyring and prune
it, but this is, well a bit hacky...

Anyway...

Is there some way of the plugin knowing that it is being removed that
I have missed?

Surely someone on this list has come across the problem of panel
plugins needing to store passwords or encrypted/secure data? Is there
some alternative I have missed?

Has the idea of a "remove" signal for panel plugins come up before?
Should I look at writing a patch for this?

Cheers, Si.