Xfce 4.8 entering planning phase

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Thu Aug 20 03:23:11 CEST 2009

On Sun, 16 Aug 2009 18:56:22 +0200
Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org> wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> with this mail, I'd like to officially kick off the Xfce 4.8
> development cycle. I've uploaded the schedule to this page:
>
>   http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.8/schedule
>
> As you can see we enter the so-called Planning Phase today which lasts
> until the end of the month but can be extended to September 13th. This
> phase has three purposes:
>
>   1. Decide who's in the release team and who takes which job.
>   2. Discuss the so-called Essential Dependencies for the cycle and
>      decide which versions to depend on. The end of the Planning Phase
>      marks Dependency Freeze and after this point features depending
> on more recent dependencies have to be optional.
>   3. Think about which features are realistic and make a
>      non-obligatory list. Inform the community about 1., 2. and 3. at
>      the end of the planning phase.
>

> Release Team
> ============
>
> As I've mentioned in my other mail, I'd like to propose Stephan and
> myself for the QA Official and Release Manager positions. For the
> reasons see that mail. This is of course debatable.

Four days, little response ... am I supposed to take that as a "yes,
please"?

> We need Release Assistant(s) for updating the website upon releases
> and helping the Release Manager with his tasks. The tasks are
> described on
> http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/release-model#planning_phase_2_2_weeks.
> I'd love to see two or three people volunteer for this. Release
> Assistants may or may not be core developers. Personally, I think
> it's a nice way for people not hacking on Xfce 24/7 to help Xfce by
> other means.
>
> Jérôme has done an awesome job updating the website for the 4.6
> release. I'd love to have him on board. Jérôme, what do you think?
>
> Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions at all? Volunteers? This not a big job, it won't suck
up your time. I know there are many among you with a deep knowledge of
Xfce (which is preferred but not really required for this kind of
assistance), so ... please raise your hands, ladies!

  - Jannis