[Planning-4.8][dependencies] Gtk+ and Glib

Brian J. Tarricone brian at tarricone.org
Tue Aug 18 11:40:03 CEST 2009

On 08/18/2009 01:23 AM, Nick Schermer wrote:

> To be precise:
>
> gtk-2.12 requires glib-2.13.5
> gtk-2.14 required glib-2.17.6
> gtk-2.16 requires glib-2.19.7

To be useful ^_~:

gtk 2.12 requires glib 2.14
gtk 2.14 requires glib 2.18
gtk 2.16 requires glib 2.20

... since we aren't going to depend on unstable dev releases.

> Regarding gtkbuilder, the menus were added in gtk-2.15.0.

So 2.16.

> Another
> important improvement is attributes in labels: there was a bug [1, 2]
> that mnemonic labels loose their function when using for example a
> bold attribute (no attribute merging). In case of our dialogs that
> means we should avoid bold mnemonic labels, then we can ignore the
> glade warning and it works in 2.14.

I certainly hope we don't have any bold labels with mnemonics in any of
our dialogs.  If we do, we should probably remove the bold anyway.  (I
think you just fixed this with exo-desktop-item-edit, even.)

> So I'd say gtk 2.14 & glib 2.18. For our current gtkbuilder usage in
> dialogs menu's won't be a problem and we need the improved gio support
> that was not there in gtk 2.12.

I tend to think we should be using GtkUIManager xml files and GtkAction
for doing most menus anyway, so I'm fine with this.

	-brian