[Planning-4.8][dependencies] Gtk+ and Glib

Stephan Arts stephan at xfce.org
Mon Aug 17 21:04:38 CEST 2009

Hi,

I would like to start the dependency-discussion for this release by
summing up what we used with 4.6.
Now, we have quite a few, so I would like to start with the most
prominent ones, Gtk+ and glib.

With xfce 4.6, we depended on the following versions:
 - Gtk+ - 2.10
 - Glib - 2.12

Many components are already being ported to GIO and GtkBuilder, making
the minimum dependencies to choose from the following:
 - Gtk+ - 2.12
 - Glib - 2.16

As a result from this change, we can drop libglade and thunar-vfs from
our dependency-stack of 4.8. Which I think, is a good thing. Since the
first release of GIO, many improvements have been made to it, also on
the API. Stuff like:

- g_desktop_app_info_new_from_keyfile () [a]
- g_file_query_file_type () [b]
- g_file_make_directory_with_parents () [c]
- g_file_monitor () (vs g_file_monitor_file() and
g_file_monitor_directory()) [d]
- g_file_enumerator_get_container () [e]
- g_emblemed_icon_new () [f]

Most of these functions seem to be stuff we can do without, so I'd say
we can safely depend on 2.12/2.16 instead of moving to 2.14/2.18. But
before jumping to any conclusions, please mention if there is any API
there that comes with a newer version of Gtk or Glib that would really
help you implement some feature that you really want to implement. (Or
remove a lot of code that becomes redundant, that is possible too
ofcourse)

Regard,

Stephan

[a] http://library.gnome.org/devel/gio/stable/gio-Desktop-file-based-GAppInfo.html#g-desktop-app-info-new-from-keyfile