Transifex installation complete!

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Sat Aug 15 18:07:32 CEST 2009

Hey everyone,

our Transifex installation on https://translations.xfce.org/ is now
ready for being used. What does this mean for you? See below.

Maintainers
===========

I've sent every maintainer a mail with username and password for the
site. If you haven't received a mail, please let me know. You should be
able to define new components (this is what we know as 'branches') for
your projects (if xfce4-panel is branched for 4.8 for instance, it
should have an 'xfce-4.8' branch).

Please DON'T use the access control feature which you can see when
editing one of your projects (e.g. on
https://translations.xfce.org/projects/eatmonkey/access/permission/add/).
New users will and *should* have no permissions at all until one of the
translation coordinators (staff) or admins add them to the translators
group.

Translation coordinators and admins
===================================

This goes to Mike, Maximilian and core developers. The only thing
you'll be dealing with most of the time is new users. New users want to
translate and we want to make it possible for them. All of the
translation coordinators and admins should have access to
https://translations.xfce.org/admin/. When a new user has requested
translation permissions via email, all you have to do is to add him/her
to the 'translators' group. For that, go to users, edit the user,
select the group and save. That's it.

Translators (most important!)
=============================

All of you will have to register a new account. Just visit
https://translations.xfce.org/ and click on 'Register' in the upper
right corner. After that, please send a mail to Mike, Maximilian (dunno
how active he is these days though) or one of the core developers of
your choice so that we can add you to the translators group.

The first thing you should do is to set your firstname and surname on
https://translations.xfce.org/accounts/profile/edit/personal/. This
will help in setting the author commit information.

After all this is done, you'll be ready to go. I won't go into details
about the translation workflow with Transifex here but if you need
more information you could have a look at
http://transifex.org/wiki/About or google for tutorials.

I encourage everyone to organize your teams on xfce-i18n at xfce.org if
you haven't done so already, because AFAIK Transifex provides no ways
to communicate with other translators (except for locking/unlocking PO
files ;)).

If you encounter any errors with the platform, please let me know and
I'll either try to solve it or forward it to the Transifex developers.

And if you have more questions, please ask them on the
xfce-i18n at xfce.org mailing list. Thanks!

Happy translating!

  - Jannis