git checkout help

Giuseppe Torelli colossus73 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:15:32 CEST 2009

Hi,

I've never used git. Googling with these keywords "git checkout remote
repository" gave out a lot of material. I issued:

$ gt[Projects]$ git clone git://git.xfce.org/apps/xarchiver
Initialized empty Git repository in /home/gt/Projects/xarchiver/.git/
git.xfce.org[0: 138.48.2.101]: errno=Connection refused
fatal: unable to connect a socket (Connection refused)
gt[Projects]$

git checkout git://git.xfce.org/apps/xarchiver
fatal: Not a git repository
gt[Projects]$ git checkout http://git.xfce.org/git/apps/xarchiver
fatal: Not a git repository
gt[Projects]$

Can someone tell me how to pull out the sources from the git
repository and how to have commit permission?

Thanks,
Giuseppe
--
colossus73
Imagination, a simple and lightweight DVD slide show maker -