Mount, unmount and eject removable devices

Jordi Pujol jordipujolp at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 09:16:20 CEST 2009

A Dimarts, 11 d'agost de 2009 08:22:58, Yves-Alexis Perez va escriure:

> That it's done on purpose.
>
> I agree “umount” might be helpful in some cases (mostly when there are
> multiple partitions on a removable device, and you want to be able to
> manage them independently) but there's no real way to manage the device
> (be it a real device or a virtual one, like a crypto-container) at the
> moment.

many thanks for the explanation, but I am not convinced.

Why we suppose what the users could think ?
that should be able to change the way that a system works with the devices ?

We assume that when a user stops working with a CDROM, always he wants extract
it from the device. I think that bias is wrong, because the user can work with
the CD again later.

Now, taking into consideration your point of view, I believe that the
operation would be implemented as:

when is mounted: ummount or eject
and if the device is not mounted: mount or eject

that is, eject operation is allways available,
but mount or unmount is shown when corresponding,

--
Jordi Pujol

Live never endng Tale
GNU/Linux Live forever!