_NET_WORKAREA and multiple monitors

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Tue Aug 4 08:11:42 CEST 2009

On lun, 2009-08-03 at 15:58 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >> Basically, the spec says:
> >>
> >> "Work area SHOULD be used by desktop applications to place desktop
> >> icons appropriately"
> >>
> >> If you include non visible area, you will end up with icons
> >> potentially being invisible, which defeats the benefits of having
> >> _NET_WORKAREA
>
> Right, but _NET_WORKAREA is then useless on multihead when you have
> monitors with different resolutions if you follow that interpretation.
> Well, maybe not "useless" -- it does serve the purpose of ensuring that
> you don't place things in non-visible areas.  But it also artificially
> "hides" some (potentially large) areas that *are* visible.

Might be a good idea to port that to netwm ML (if they have one) or talk
with metacity/kwin people about this (or even other wms). Basically
there's no way _NET_WORKAREA can be non-rectangular, I guess? So either
you lose some visible space, or you have some invisible space. I guess
the former (current xfwm solution) is safer, but then you have problems
with xfce4-notifyd. But what exactly is the problem for xfce4-notifyd,
except it doesn't put any notification on the bottom of the right
monitor? (same goes for xfdesktop). Is there a shift or something?

Yves-Alexis