Git migration: permission control

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Wed Apr 22 08:26:19 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-04-21 at 15:26 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
> > How do we handle permission control? Do we need a pre-commit hook?
> >
> > Git offers no way of controlling fine-grained repository permissions
> > the way SVN does.
>
> Well, that's a bit incorrect.  SVN doesn't offer a way to do this
> either.  We use a 3rd-party script that runs as a pre-commit hook.

Just my 2 cents and a bit off-topic, actually you can have fine-grained
permissions with SVN without a hook script when you use the
AuthzSVNAccessFile directive in Apache. This way you don't have to
provide at least read-only on everything (which is not interesting for
an open-source project, I agree). Unfortunately, so far, it uses an
ini-style permissions file in which you can't use regexp.

--
Jean-François Wauthy <pollux at xfce.org>