xfwm4 mouse button bindings & window menu

Phil Vandry vandry at TZoNE.ORG
Mon Apr 6 17:28:18 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 04, 2009 at 07:27:03PM +0200, Sam Besselink wrote:
> Why does the right mouse button have to be loaded with two functions?
> Dragging left mouse also gives move-window functionality on my xfce..

The difference is that moving the window with the right button does not
raise it at the same time. I find this quite useful but I'm not willing
to sacrifice proper functioning of the window ops menu to obtain it.
Some time ago I experimented with patches to xfwm4 that made the left
button move windows without raising them but it's quite unconventional
and in the end I don't think it was really successful.

So that's why I think that relocating the "move without raising"
function to the middle button makes a lot of sense. Unfortunately they
don't seem to manufacture good mice with real middle buttons anymore
(pressing down on a scroll wheel isn't the same) but I hope that's OK
since "move without raising" is probably less often desired than
"raise and move".

Colin Leroy suggests using Alt+left drag. Thanks, it's quite useful; I
used to know about that but forgot from lack of habit. Yet it still
raises the window before moving it.

-Phil