Xscreensaver configurator in XFCE settings panel

jp.guillemin jp.guillemin at free.fr
Sun Sep 21 09:06:25 CEST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Sep 2008 02:05:12 +0200 Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>

>> On sam, 2008-09-20 at 15:47 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>
>>> Alternatively, we could just include anything that has
>>> DesktopSettings in it, and doesn't have an OnlyShowIn that would
>>> otherwise hide it from
>>> us.  I'm not sure that's the best idea, but... maybe?  What do
>>> people think?
>>>
>> That could be a good idea, yes. But anyway, for example,
>> gnome-screensaver preferences has a OnlyShowIn=GNOME so it won't
>> appear. But that's crap in gnome-screensaver, not in the method.
>>

> That's a shame, actually -- if people are using Xfce with
> gnome-screensaver, then they won't see the prefs app for it.
>

>> Not sure it's really needed anyway, because it will appear in the
>> Settings menu. Depends if the Xfce Settings Manager should handle all
>> possible settings stuff, not sure.
>>

> Well, no, it won't, in this case, anyway.
>
> We had little wrapper MCS plugins for things like screensaver, so
> they'd show up in the settings manager.  It would be nice to be able to
> replicate this with the new manager.

IMHO, tunning things to setup the correct screensaver, with correct
xfce-settings panel entry, and so on ... all these kind of things are
part of the job of the distribution packager : in Zenwalk we take care
of this kind of things.

If the end user has sufficient Linux knowledge to change the screensaver
to Gnome Screensaver "without using official packages", then I assume
he's able to tweek the desktop files himself.

As a disrtribution maintainer, I believe the each package should include
its own desktop files, so that switching to an alternative software is
user-friendly.

Yesterday I discovered the new system to populate the xfce-settings
dialog :) It's great : freedom is given to the packager ! (it's the same
freedesktop compliant mechanism that I use for the "Zenpanel" since 2
years , so I can only like it ;) ...)

Cheers
JP