xdg user directory patches on development version

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Tue Sep 9 02:14:13 CEST 2008

Am Sun, 7 Sep 2008 22:22:41 -0700
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 06:03:12 +0200 Andrea Santilli wrote:
>
> > I'm sending you the updated patches that make xfce recognize the xdg
> > user directory paths.
>
> Please use the bug tracker for patches; they tend to get lost here.
>
> > I made them on 4.5.0-rev27605
> >
> > I *had* to add a function to libxfce4util called
> > xfce_get_user_special_dir() which redirects to
> > g_get_user_special_dir() in case you're compiling on glib >= 2.14.
> > Otherwise it guesses the paths by reading the
> > ~/.config/user-dirs.dirs file (as newer glib versions do). It
> > returns ~/Desktop when the desktop directory is undefined.
>
> Honestly, I'd rather not add something like this to libutil, given
> that we're only one version behind on glib for this one[1].  I'd be
> ok with making this feature require glib 2.14 (using #ifdefs, and
> falling back to the hardcoded ~/Desktop and ~/Templates for glib
> 2.12).  I feel like this is something that (the few) people stuck
> with glib 2.12 can live without.
>
> > Another change is that now xfdesktop now considers the right
> > templates directory.
>
> Cool!  I've always hated having to have a non-hidden Templates dir
> in my homedir.

I share the opinion that it is fair enough to fallback to the hardcoded
~/Desktop for any too old Glib version. Users survived thus far, they
will surely be able to cope with it until they can upgrade.

And please upload it to bugzilla, I would love to exterminate my
unused ~/Desktop folder here, or at least give it a useful name. I
wanted to give this a look myself but didn't really find the time to get
into the code base. I'm happy someone is doing this now.

ciao,
    Christian