Xarchiver 0.5.0rc1 released

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Fri Oct 31 00:43:26 CET 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 30.10.2008, 17:30 +0100 schrieb Giuseppe Torelli:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 12:27 PM, Christoph Wickert
> <christoph.wickert at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I just installed it to take a look at it and I think this
> > comparison does not hold up at all, because
>
> >     1. the prefs window with the Help tab is not visible all the time
> >        in firefox but one only very rarely uses it.
> The menu "Thanks to" will be visibile only and not the whole list of
> contributors. If the user clicks on it the whole list will be shown.

Yeah, but the credits drop down in Gmail Manager is not shown in the
Firefox main window. Instead you need at least 4 clicks to get there, 6
to get to one of the URLs.

> Also the URL are hardcoded in GMail Manager as they will be in
> Xarchiver; did you realize that? How come you don't complain about
> this now?

Excuse me, I wrote "But I'm still not happy with the hardcoded URLs so I
prefer a credits page that will remain under your control.", but you
stripped my complainant from your reply.

> >     2. the credits are inside a drop down and not a menu. A drop down
> >        is much smaller.
>
> Did you click on that menu? To me it cover the whole screen height.

Yes, and now imagine what XA would look like with such a big menu. :)

> >     3. the URLs are visible, so the user can see the address before he
> >        visits it
>
> The same will happen in the submenu items of the menu item "Thanks to".

So you are going to move the top level "Thanks to" to a submenu? Sorry,
I must have missed it.

I'm afraid the menu will get very huge with name and URL inside. The XA
main window already is very wide, with an additional submenu I'm afraid
it will need even more space than the main window and therefore it might
not fit on the screen of a small netbook like the eeepc any longer.
"Thanks to" may be short but it's becoming longer in other languages.

> >     4. The user has to hit the "Visit Website" button and is not taken
> >        there without explicit permission and without knowing the URL.
>
> The same with what will happen in Xarchiver 0.5. The user is not taken
> there without explicit permission because he/she has to click and
> without knowing the url because the url will be visible next to the
> name.

So are the URLs clickable or not? Is the user aware of the fact that he
is going to visit a website when he clicks?

Regards,
Christoph