Xarchiver 0.5.0rc1 released

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 12:27:50 CET 2008

Am Donnerstag, den 30.10.2008, 11:51 +0100 schrieb Giuseppe Torelli:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Ali Abdallah <aliov at xfce.org> wrote:
> > This sounds the perfect solution, a menu item with link to the
> > donators/sponsors page.
> > you can always control/remove/add new people without changing anything
> > concerning the code, it's a fair solution that shouldn't bother anybody.
>
> Do you use the firefox extension GMail Manager? Have a look at the
> Help tab in the Preferences section.

No it don't and I wouldn't if it cluttered up my menu with useless
entries. I just installed it to take a look at it and I think this
comparison does not hold up at all, because
     1. the prefs window with the Help tab is not visible all the time
        in firefox but one only very rarely uses it.
     2. the credits are inside a drop down and not a menu. A drop down
        is much smaller.
     3. the URLs are visible, so the user can see the address before he
        visits it
     4. The user has to hit the "Visit Website" button and is not taken
        there without explicit permission and without knowing the URL.

So from the UI point GMail Manager handles the credits basically as
Brian suggested and most of us agreed that we wouldn't mind some credits
in the About dialog or even a special Credits dialog.
1 is important for a nice and clean UI and 3 and 4 are IMO important for
me as a maintainer bearing the risk with the URLs. But I'm still not
happy with the hardcoded URLs so I prefer a credits page that will
remain under your control.

Regards,
Christoph