Xarchiver 0.5.0rc1 released

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Oct 30 11:13:37 CET 2008

Trying to cut a long story short...

Am Mittwoch, den 29.10.2008, 15:44 -0700 schrieb Brian J. Tarricone:

> And what's wrong with having sponsors?  GNOME wouldn't be where it is
> today without sponsors.  Xfce would be a lot farther along if we had
> sponsors.

There ist nothing wrong with sponsors, but putting them in the menu is
intrusive, bad UI design. Imagine what would happen if more and more
apps started doing this... I'm sure this would drive users away from
using these apps.

I wouldn't mind a special dialog or a new tab in the About dialog, but I
do mind a menu that basically serves no function.

> I may not agree with what Guiseppe wants to put in his UI, but it's his
> baby, and up to him how he wants to recognise
> contributors/donors/sponsors/whatever.  If that's going to cause you to
> drop it from Fedora, that's a shame, but I suppose that's your choice.

Nobody said it's going to be dropped from Fedora, but it might get
dropped from our Xfce based Live-CDs in favor of Squeeze. The package
will still be available in our repos.

Of course it is Guiseppe's baby and therefor his decision what the app
should look like, but it also is my decision if and how I'm going to
maintain it for Fedora.

Regards,
Christoph