XfconfChannel support for plugins.

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sat Oct 25 09:09:04 CEST 2008

Le Wed, 15 Oct 2008 09:15:28 +0200,
"Nick Schermer" <nickschermer at gmail.com> a écrit :

> 2008/10/14 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> > Nick Schermer wrote:
> >> Yeah that's probably 99% of the plugins, so it would be nice for
> >> reading the plugin settings, but for writing you still need to
> >> xfconf channel, with the property_base if you write everything to
> >> a single channel. So IMHO it's not convering enough of the problem.
> >
> > No, no, I guess I wasn't clear.  You don't expose *anything*
> > relating to the details of config storage to the plugins
> > themselves.  They don't know about xfconf or anything.
>
> I did understand that, but IMHO a hashtable is not a friendly way of
> storing/loading settings. Missing the _get_ and _set_ functions here
> and I'm pretty sure nobody is going to use it if they have to convert
> GValues.

Sister functions of xfconf_... like functions for the panel API would do
it.  The main purpose is to use the panel API without caring to save the
configuration data by hand with a third API.

Idealy, it could load the data automatically at creation and save it at
termination.  Still there had to be a function to save the data when
needed (closing the settings dialog for instance).

xfce_panel_plugin_conf_get/set_int (XfcePanelPlugin*, ...);

How is that going on?  I read on IRC some ideas from you both :)

Mike