Xfce settings pluggable window

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Wed Oct 22 00:10:40 CEST 2008

Am Tue, 21 Oct 2008 15:38:46 +0200
schrieb "ali abdallah" <ali.slackware at gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I just installed xfce4.6 beta from source, in the Xfce settings
> Manager if i click on an item i still get a separate window for this
> item. what i'm missing here ?

As Mike said: not all of our dialogs already support plugging.

> BTW: is there's something special to have the settings for the power
> manager that i'm doing pluggable inside xfce settings manager?

You need:

  1. X-XfcePluggable=true in the .desktop entry
  2. Provide a --socket-id=<SOCKET ID> command line parameter that
     takes an integer.
  3. If the --socket-id parameter is defined, you need to do:

       GtkWidget *plug;
       GtkWidget *plug_child;

       plug = gtk_plug_new (socket_id);
       g_signal_connect (plug, 'delete-event',
                         G_CALLBACK (gtk_main_quit), NULL);
       gtk_widget_show (plug);

       plug_child = get_the_dialog_contents_from_somewhere ();
       gtk_widget_reparent (plug_child, plug);

That's all. Optionally, you can add

   4. X-XfceHelpFile=/absolute/filename/to/the/help/file

to the .desktop entry if you want a help button. The help file usually
would be a HTML file or something like that.

  - Jannis