xfce4-session SmRestartImmediately support

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Oct 17 11:21:58 CEST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I just committed SmRestartImmediately support for xfce4-session.
> Xfdesktop already uses it.  I'd suggest that xfce4-panel and xfwm4 be
> changed to use it as well, if they aren't already.
>
> They'll both need extra changes too:
>
> Panel: If the user runs 'xfce4-panel -x', the panel should first reset
> its SM restart hint to SmRestartIfRunning before exiting.
>
> WM: If the user runs 'xfwm4 --replace', the old instance of the WM
> should set its SM restart hint to SmRestartIfRunning before exiting.
>
> May want to do the same with 'Thunar --daemon'.  Or maybe not.
>
> I'm thinking about making xfce4-settings-helper session-managed so it
> can take advantage of this as well.  Any thoughts about this?  (I have
> an idea how to solve the first-time startup issue; will flesh this out
> later).

The idea of Thunar --daemon is to have it running as D-Bus service,
possibly w/o any active window. So there's is little use in setting the
restart hint to RestartImmediately, since D-Bus already auto-starts
Thunar anyway as required. Having both xfce4-session and dbus-daemon
restart Thunar doesn't sound like something one should do.

Benedikt