pkg-config vs X11

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Thu Oct 16 13:39:17 CEST 2008

Alexander Toresson wrote:

>> Create, where ? You mean as a add-on system patch for the user to
>> install in /usr/X11R6/lib/pkgconfig ? Or local to xfce4-settings ?
>
> Either in a system-wide location, or in a directory you yourself add
> to PKG_CONFIG_PATH.

Right, that's what I said :-) Either method is "more hassle" than
just patching the configure script when on the darwin_8 platform.

>> So basically falling back to -lXi -lX11 -lXrandr seem to be
>> working just fine, but I might be missing a few details here...
>
> Well, typically, -I to CFLAGS and -L and -l to LIBS is what is
> required, unless the libraries and/or include files are already in a
> path that is searched by your compiler, then you may only need -l.

Yes, I suppose my original question was why the configure script
for xfce4-settings couldn't do that without me patching it first...

>> PS. For some reason it does have xcursor.pc installed.
>>     But seems to fail to detect it anyway, typically.
>>
> Make sure the .pc file says that its version is big enough, and that
> all requirements of it is satisfied. If any of these requirements are
> not satisfied, detecting a library through pkg-config will fail.

Right you are. I just thought it would say "too old" rather than:
"checking for optional package xcursor >= 1.1.0... not found"

But I won't bother to find out why, since my XFree86 version of
xcursor is 1.0.0 anyway and it's also optional for this package.

--anders