xfce 4.6 panel icons

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Sat Oct 4 21:01:22 CEST 2008

Am Sat, 4 Oct 2008 19:55:00 +0200
schrieb Anders F Björklund <afb at algonet.se>:

> Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> >> Shouldn't the default panel use "Icon=file-manager",
> >> rather than "Icon=Thunar", to keep the "usual" look ?
> >> Or maybe it would be system-file-manager perhaps*,
> >> but something more "function" and less "product" ?
> >
> > Hmm, good question.  I'd think no, it should use Icon=Thunar since
> > we provide a default file manager as a part of Xfce.  In the case
> > of 'Web Browser', we don't (yet) provide a browser, so it makes
> > sense to provide
> > a generic icon.
>
> Or maybe "File Manager" should be added to exo and the
> Preferred Applications, even if everyone loves Thunar ? :-)

I suggested that earlier, no response so far. It doesn't look like
there's much interest in supporting other file managers :)

> Just thought it'd look better and more self-explanatory,
> than having "red hammer" and "green cat paw" in there...

While I like the icons as such I totally agree here. The default icons
should be generic even if the applications are chosen beforehand.
Someone not familiar with the setup will have a hard time guessing what
the icons are supposed to refer to. In the case of Thunar it's even
harder to understand since the window title says "Filemanager" and thus
the metaphoric of the icon is gone.

It's different when you add your own icons, in which case you may want
to see the specific logos. I personally even have a mix of logos and
generic icons.

ciao,
    Christian