xfce 4.6 background color/image

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Sat Oct 4 16:26:31 CEST 2008

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 6:35 AM, Yves-Alexis Perez <corsac at debian.org> wrote:

> On sam, 2008-10-04 at 16:31 +0300, Jari Rahkonen wrote:
> > I was only pointing out the fact that there are people like me who not
> > only prefer to but need to avoid extreme contrast on their desktop,
> > probably for the same reason I need to wear sun glasses in bright
> > sunlight to avoid getting a splitting headache. But the choice is
> > yours.
> > As I said, it looks clean even if it isn't for me.
>
> Remember the discussion is about the *default* wallpaper. Most people
> will change it (distro in packaging and user if she wants to). It's best
> if it suits most people (so not everybody change it) but not too
> dramatic.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Yves-Alexis

I wouldn't mind for once having a desktop that I don't have to change the
background. I think SUSE did a great job for a while and as soon
as you logged in you were impressed. Ubuntu on the other hand is a different
story. I spend way too much time removing the turd look.

The dark color looks nice but it would last about 10 seconds and I'd have to
find another background. Maybe a better solution is to have a series
of higher quality backgrounds included. Most Distros and desktops include a
set of backgrounds but they're all a bit pale or washed out. We need
an XFCE background competition! :-) I'm not sure what marketing study was
done but it seems that every distribution wants to be blue. Ubuntu is
bucking
this trend but not necessarily in a good way.

--
Grant McWilliams

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
Windows."
Now they have two problems.