xfce 4.6 background color/image

Anders F Björklund afb at algonet.se
Sat Oct 4 11:25:03 CEST 2008

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

> Xfe 4.6 beta is coming by the end on next week, I'd like to settle the
> default appearance of a newly installed desktop.

Speaking of appearance, something I've always found strange
is the placement of the "Home" and "Trash" icons in Xfce...

I don't understand why one would want 1) Trash above Home or
2) Trash next to Home or Root ? So I usually move it away...

Could be my Mac background, since I know Windows also does it.
Could there be an option, to put Trash at the bottom instead ?

Easy enough to just drag it, but for the "default appearance".
I also find it easier to use, with "open" and "delete" separate.

> Given the color scheme selected for Xfc e4.6 (dark blue/grey/light
> blue) I think the best fit for the desktop is a very dark blue derived
> from the active window border #030508 with xfce-stripes.png as image
> applied.

I think it would be better to keep the "duvblå" (sv) colour,
as seen in http://www.xfce.org/about/tour as the background.

That would make the desktop look somewhat like this:
http://www.algonet.se/~afb/xfce/xfce-alpha-desktop.jpg

> This gives a dark but very clean look IMHO.
>
> Screenshot here:
>
> http://www.foo-projects.org/~olivier/screenshots/xfce46-xfdesktop-
> color.png

I think that very dark background would look better with
a matching dark window manager theme, as in Ubuntu "Dust":

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/DustTheme
(not as the default though, would prefer light one)

I think the desktop would otherwise have too high contrast,
so it doesn't match the icons and windows and strain eyes ?

--anders