[Xfce4-commits] r27940 - xfdesktop/trunk/src

Rodrigo Coacci rcoacci at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 22:03:35 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 3:12 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>wrote:

> (...)
>
> Well, remember, we turned DB off initially back in the end of 2003 or
> so.  A bit has changed since then, and a low-end graphics board *today*
> might be ok with DB turned on.  Back when I started out as xfdesktop
> maintainer (early 2004), I rewrote portions of it, and forgot to disable
> double-buffering initially, and I didn't have any problems on my TNT2
> Ultra.  (And when I bought that card back in 1999, it cost more than an
> entire present-day low-end Intel motherboard with Intel graphics that
> would still beat the pants of my TNT2U.)
>
> If there are *actual problems*, I'd be willing to revisit this, but as
> far as I'm concerned, this is idle speculation and not worth discussing
> without some real-world cases of brokenness.
>
>        -brian

I mostly agree with you, but would it be too ugly/bad to have at least a
compile time option to enable/disable DB? Even if the default is DB on, at
least people/distros with very low end targets just have to compile with the
correct options (and accept ugly paintings :-) ).
If it's too messy to do, just forget I mentioned it.

     Rodrigo

A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows.
                  ~Linus Torvalds