Projects in xfce repos, ehm...

Jannis Pohlmann jannis at xfce.org
Fri Nov 21 00:53:57 CET 2008

Am Thu, 20 Nov 2008 15:38:52 -0800
schrieb "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:

> Jannis Pohlmann wrote:
>
> > One problem I have with the Goodies as they are is that they tend
> > to be neglected. The infrastructure for them exists but a lot of
> > those who have a component in the main SVN don't want their
> > application to be moved to the Goodies because it means to get less
> > attention and to lose a bit of reputation/importance as an Xfce
> > developer.
>
> I can certainly understand the sentiment, but... well, too bad.  The
> only app that's really potentially in this position is Orage, and I
> personally wouldn't consider a calendar/reminder/PIM app a core
> desktop app by any stretch of the imagination.

What I wrote above is just one of the reasons why the attractivity of
goodies is somewhat connected to this discussion. The other reason is
that people wrote their apps with the same goals as Xfce in mind and
just want them to be recognized as part of Xfce (even if not part of
the core). I think that's why it's important to make the goodies appear
stronger and more attractive - especially if we are to move such
important applications as Terminal, orage etc. over into the goodies.
That's all I'm trying to say.

> > So, as an alternative to taking more apps/goodies into the core
>
> Let's put a stop to this way of thinking right now: we're not pulling
> more apps into core.  Any app that gets put into core needs a damned
> strong rationale as to why.  The only candidate I can think of that
> as a really strong case for core inclusion (for 4.8) would be
> xfce4-power-manager.  Xfce4-notifyd has a weak case, and IMO there's
> really no case for anything else.
>
> > we could
> > think about how to make the Goodies more attractive. A platform
> > like gnomefiles.org might be more attractive than our current wiki
> > setup.
>
> Yeah, definitely a good idea, but, as always, someone needs to take
> the time to set it up and maintain it.

I wouldn't suggest it if I wasn't optimistical that I can help with
it ;)

  - Jannis