Projects in xfce repos, ehm...

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Fri Nov 21 00:02:12 CET 2008

Am Thu, 20 Nov 2008 22:55:52 +0100
schrieb Jannis Pohlmann <jannis at xfce.org>:

> Hey,
>
> Am Thu, 20 Nov 2008 16:39:08 +0100
> schrieb "Stephan Arts" <stephan at xfce.org>:
>
> Personally I wouldn't mind to include more programs into the Core like
> for power management and notifications for example, because those
> make the desktop complete (IMHO Terminal, mousepad and orage are
> essential even though I don't use mousepad).
> But I think what really matters is that more Core stuff does not make
> releasing more complex. I feel that this should be one of the things
> to focus on in the upcoming months.
>
> I also think there's room for improvements concerning the goodies
> releases. Important goodies should get more attention and should maybe
> get their own niché somewhere between core and goodies. Hmmm.
>
> Personal opinion: Consider more applications as part of the Core (but
> choose carefully) and don't make a big deal out of whether an
> application is Core or not.

I also think currently the definition of what 'Core' actually is, seems
to be a little unclear, especially seeing how mixed the replies in this
thread are I see that confirmed.

Maybe there should actually be three categories, let me attempt to give
a deliberate definition.

Core: Components one needs in order to run a system in a useful way.
That includes roughly panels, window manager, whatever xfdesktop is,
the various settings applications, power management.
^^ All of those should be stable. For instance, if the powermanager
isn't stable, I'd rather not see it there until it is.

Apps: Applications that are useful, that really many Xfce users would
use, but that are essentially replaceable. Such as terminal, file
manager, editor, archiver, image viewer, media player.
^^ Thunar is a special one: it cannot practically be independant from
Core, but semantically for me it should be.

Goodies: All the rest kind of, things that are useful but not regularly
maintained, somewhat specialized, unstable.

ciao,
    Christian