Tricky question about libxfconf, xfconfd and soname

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Fri Nov 7 12:12:25 CET 2008

On Fri, Nov 07, 2008 at 03:06:27AM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Corsac and I chatted about this on IRC, so no need to reply.  The
> summary is:
>
> You can only have one xfconfd process running at once anyway (per user),
> so having xfconfd in its own package is the way to go, and each
> libxfconf-x-y package should depend on that single xfconfd package.

In fact, I won't do that, because that means circular dependencies:
xfconf depends on libxfconf-x-y
libxfconf-x-y depends on xfconf

which is bad. But I'll add a dependency info on the libxfconf-x-dev
package, which means that whenever you build against it and thus get a
dependency on the corresponding libxfconf-x-y package, you'll have a
dependency on xfconf too.
--
Yves-Alexis