Xfce4 power manager 0.6.0 RC1 released

Ali Abdallah aliov at xfce.org
Fri Nov 7 11:26:51 CET 2008

> Hey Ali,

Hi,
> I like your power manager, and let me say you did a good job there. I
> installed it earlier today. Allow me to pose a few questions:
>
> 1. Would you please use standard icon names for display, cpu and
> keyboard? I'm thinking of video-display, input-keyboard and cpu.

you are speaking about the keyboard and display icons right, cause i
couldn't find a standard icon for the CPU, so i made one, i'll change
the other icons name for the final release.

> 2. I'm seeing "Power" in my Settings now. Intuitively I would have
> expected something like "Power saving". Would you consider changing
> that string?

I didn't understand this point, the string displayed is Power Manager!

> 3. I'm seeing radio buttons labelled with cpu governour names. I wonder
> if it is all that helpful, as opposed to describing strings. I would
> think it would make it more understandable to less knowledgable
> users and still be obvious enough for those who do know.
> ^^ Granted, others might see that different.

yes, but powersave,performance and ondemand are clear i guess, only
conservative and userspace aren't understandable, but i don't know what
to put here.

> 4. I have the label from the battery monitor beside the icon of the
> power manager now, because I really need either a time or a percentage
> value to see how close my battery is to being empty. What about a
> second system tray icon, that renders text? I'm not 100% sure how good
> that would work out, but it might be nice.

This is an enhancement bug reported by Yves Alexis, this is very
difficult to have two tray icons for the same battery, but what might be
possible is to render the text on the pixbuf of the tray icon, please
follow the bug.

> 5. I can't use the Power saving options from the Settings manager, I'm
> seeing something like this:
>
> Failed to run "xfce4-power-manager -c"
>
> I'm going to update my copy of the Xfce core Friday evening, to make
> sure it's not an issue on my end. I will report back if it works after
> that.

This is a bug was in xfce4-settings, any desktop entry with Exec =
program_name -options will fail to run, but it have been fixed, i
encounter this problem, but updating my revision of xfce4-settings fixes
this, they change the way of spawning the process.

> ciao,
>     Christian

Thanks for your report and suggestions.

Cheers,