Proposal for string improvements

Juha kautto.juha at kolumbus.fi
Tue Nov 4 10:55:49 CET 2008

Brian J. Tarricone kirjoitti:
> On Mon, 03 Nov 2008 19:00:05 -0800 Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>

>> Created something hopefully useful:
>>
>> http://wiki.xfce.org/releng/4.6/string-review
>>

> And:
>
> http://wiki.xfce.org/style/strings

I/f seeing a short string of text out of context might be confusing for
a translator, include a short context description at the start of the
string, and separate it from the “real” string with the pipe character
(”|||”). Gettext will strip off the context for you when displaying the
string in the user interface./

I think we should not do that, but instead add a short comment on top of
that text. The comment will be visible for the translator in the PO file
and it can be much longer than the short explanation after that |. Also
I have seen that most translators do not know what that "|" means, but
they simply translate also that text, which causes nasty and unnecessary
translation bugs.

Juha