Proposal for string improvements

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 3 20:19:23 CET 2008

Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

> I'm not sure how to do this though. One idea would be that native
> English speakers (and those who think their English is really good) and
> maintainers come together a few times (twice a week for an hour maybe)
> to go through the components dialogs and windows and discuss how the
> strings could be improved. We could schedule these meetings and set a
> deadline (like beta3) and *then* enter string-freeze.

Sure, if you set the meeting time at a US-friendly time.  Otherwise I
don't see the point.  Do we even have any native English speakers around
here who don't live in the US?

> Any other ideas on how to organize this (if at all)?

Personally, I was just going to do it solo, and I was thinking of
creating a wiki page so anyone who starts working on strings can mark
down the module/dialog they're working on so others don't duplicate effort.

But really, we don't just need to fix strings that have poor English
usage... we also need consistent English usage.  I've wanted to come up
with a (short) document with guidelines for a while, but, of course...
other things have seemed more important and I haven't gotten to it yet.

Anyway, if you want to suggest a meeting time, feel free.

	-b