suspend/hibernate support in xfce4-session

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 1 20:39:48 CET 2008

On Sat, 01 Nov 2008 20:00:19 +0100 jp.guillemin wrote:

> looking into the code, I found that the mod uses HAL to suspend (this
> idea seams strange, it would be simpler to provide a configuration
> file to specify the scripts location) .

How is that simpler?  It's more complex.

> So the question is : how do I tell to HAL to use a suspend script ?
> (using default scripts provided by hal, or whatever, will usually
> fail, and I have written suspend scripts that work in 98% of the
> cases including laptops, so I must use them).
>
> I want to test, but without any information about this feature, it's
> not easy.

I don't know.  The correct approach is for HAL to run whatever scripts
are necessary to suspend the system -- that is in fact the entire
*point* of HAL.  I'm not adding in hacks to put that responsibility on
xfce4-session.  If the HAL method doesn't work on your distro/laptop,
then HAL needs to be fixed, not xfce4-session.

	-brian