call for advertising: google summer of code 2008

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Mar 5 05:19:45 CET 2008

On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:03 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>  As some of you already know, I'm in the process of applying to Google's
>  Summer of Code as a mentoring organisation.  Xfce applied in 2006, but
>  wasn't accepted.  I don't really know why, but hopefully this year we
>  can do a bit better.  To that end, I've created a few pages on our wiki,
>  and people have been working on them for the past couple weeks:
>
>  http://wiki.xfce.org/gsoc-2008-ideas
>  http://wiki.xfce.org/gsoc-2008-mentors
>  http://wiki.xfce.org/gsoc-2008-students
>
>  Now, we won't know if we've been accepted into the program until March
>  17th.  However, I'd like to generate some interest for our participation
>  in the program; in particular, I'd like to get some names on that
>  'students' wiki page.
>
>  So, if you don't mind, if you have a blog, or some other means of
>  publishing to a group of people (via means other than spam, of course),
>  could you please do a little advertising for us?  Just point out that
>  we're applying to the program, we're looking for student participants,
>  and give a link to our wiki page (the main 'ideas' page).

I no longer hang out on the Xubuntu mailing lists, but if someone
around here does perhaps this info could be forwarded on? I remember
the early days of the list being full of people asking for
enhancements or changes to the core desktop, I imagine there would be
a lot of interest. Similar for any other substantial distribution that
uses Xfce as the default desktop.

>  Thanks!
>
>         -brian

Erik
"Look at me still talking when there is Science to do"