Hacking themes [WAS Re: xfce svn repo cleanup]

Mike Massonnet mmassonnet at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 18:15:05 CET 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:40:10AM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Mike Massonnet wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 06:02:52PM -0800, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>
> >> xfce4-themes -> xfce-obsolete
> >
> > Hemhem, maybe we want to tag themes and create branches for Xfce
> > 4.2/4.4, even if theming is a hard work.  So move all the current themes
> > inside trunk to tags/4.2, and put new themes (possibly out of
> > xfwm4/trunk/themes) in?
>
> Those themes aren't the themes you're thinking of -- xfce4-themes are
> old pre-icon-theme-spec private Xfce icon themes that the panel used to
> use, and they're obsolete now.

Yeah my mistake, I did thought about xfwm4-themes.  And xfce4-themes is
indeed -archive.

> Otherwise we just have gtk-xfce-engine-2, which I think should remain in
> the main repo, and xfwm4-themes, which doesn't really need its own repo.
>   If you're suggesting breaking each theme into its own module, I think
> that's too much work (for Olivier, mainly) without really any gain.

What I had in mind was to clear the themes, the ones from gtk and xfwm4.
Fortunatly they already are tagged/branched.

For gtk-xfce-engine-2, many gtk themes start getting old-looking, so how
about accepting hacked up gtkrc files from the current ones and new
ones?

For xfwm4-themes, how about clearing trunk (they are already tagged and
branched), and move the themes from xfwm4/trunk/themes there?  but keep
an svn link (I don't know the correct property name) for the default
theme, as to provide the xfwm4 source with at least one theme.  I know
that topic popup up monthes ago, so it might sound refreshing.

Olivier, any hints?

mike