[keyboard-shortcuts] Using xfconf to manage kb-shortcuts.

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Jun 9 20:23:08 CEST 2008

Stephan Arts wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been thinking about configuring the keyboard-shortcuts using
> xfconf, instead of separate shortcuts files. (key-value-format for
> xfwm4 and xml for the kb-shortcuts). Olivier proposed this as a
> possible solution for fixing the shortcuts-conflicts on IRC.

Hmm, that's an interesting idea...

> The format we could use for this is as followed, please tell me what you think.
 >
> Name: /Alt/Tab
> Type: Array
> Value: {"xfwm4", "switch-windows"}
>
> Name: /Alt/F2
> Type: Array
> Value: {"execute", "xfrun"}
>
> Name: /Ctrl/F1
> Type: Array
> Value: {"xfwm4", "switch-ws-1")
>
> Name: /Alt+Ctrl/Delete
> Type: Array
> Value: {"execute", "xlock"}
>
> Name: /Alt+Ctrl+Shift/RightArrow
> Type: Array
> Value: {"xfwm4", "move-window-right"}

I kinda like this, but I'm a little afraid about the modifier names --
we'd have to standardize on a strict order to make things not a mess,
and there's no way to enforce it (other than people just having no idea
what's going on when it doesn't work.

Also note that '+' is not a valid xfconf property name character.

If you intend to use keynames, please use either the GDK keysym names
(with the GDK_ prefix stripped off), or X keysym names (with whatever
the prefix is stripped off).

	-b