How can a new guy get into dev?

Logan mrbojangles3 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 19:39:45 CEST 2008

Hello all
I am a 2nd year cs major, I am interested in linux development and i am
wondering what the best way to get my foot in the door so to speak. I
have knowledge of java, a little C and C# and good knowledge of python.
but my experience seems to be in the educational side of the language,
like how to make arrays and exercises like data structures. I would like
to develop for xfce. can anyone offer tips, development environments,
languages to learn, even  how to get started. i get the dev mailing list
in digest mode.