Can we get a status update for 4.6?

Christian Dywan christian at twotoasts.de
Thu Jul 17 00:41:48 CEST 2008

Am Wed, 16 Jul 2008 19:27:55 +0200
schrieb "Nick Schermer" <nickschermer at gmail.com>:

> 2008/7/16 Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org>:
> > Hey guys,
> > BTW, as far as I can tell, xfwm4 is the only module that still
> > depends on xfce-mcs-manger, is that correct? I know there a bug,
> > tracking the progress here, so I'll see if I can use those patches
> > to get a rudimentary mcs free system ;-)
>
> Well not entirely, xfce4-settings-manager is only collecting desktop
> files installed in a directory outside the 'normal' applications
> directory, so for example xfce4-panel does not show up in the
> settings dialog, because it's not installing a copy of the normal
> desktop file in the settings directory.
> ($prefix/share/xfce4/settings-dialogs/
>
> I voted for looking the the applications directory and showing all
> applications in the 'settings'/ category, but nobody had a clear
> opining on that...

If that is an option, I would really love to see the settings manager
pick up files from $prefix/share/applications. That has a few
advantages as I see it.

1. All files in one place, easy to find.
2. No need to install files in more than one place.
3. A future version could show non-Xfce apps as well.

Strings of the form "Categories=X-XFCE;Settings;DesktopSettings;" are
currently in use for Xfce settings desktop files, so it should be
straightforward to pick the right files.

Just my two pfennigs,
    Christian