Can we get a status update for 4.6?

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Wed Jul 16 16:39:13 CEST 2008

Hey guys,

I was wondering what the overall status was of the Xfce 'platform'
modules, that is the libraries and the new settings system.  I know
I'm not of much use to Xfce currently, but at least I'd like to test
the latest stuff.

For starters, the design of the new config system is not completely
clear to me. We have the following components:

- xfconf
  - xfconfd : settings store
  - xfsettingsd : XSETTINGS daemon. Data retrieved from xconfd?

- xfce4-settings
  - xfce4-settings-helper : I know I should just read the sources, but
anyone care to explain to me what this does?
  - xfce4-settings-manager : collect the different settings
executables and present a single dialog with the available options

BTW, as far as I can tell, xfwm4 is the only module that still depends
on xfce-mcs-manger, is that correct? I know there a bug, tracking the
progress here, so I'll see if I can use those patches to get a
rudimentary mcs free system ;-)

The other thing is that I'm not entirely sure about the state of the
GUI libraries: libxfcegui4 vs. libxfce4ui. Can we remove one of these
yet, or is that post-4.6?

I have a little bit of free time the next two weeks, so I'll see if I
can fix a bug or two (I haven't completely abandoned Xfce, you
know...)

 Jasper