Help for compiling Xarchiver svn on freeBSD

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 22:17:21 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:48 PM, Giuseppe Torelli <colossus73 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 7:52 PM, Landry Breuil <landry.breuil at gmail.com> wrote:
>> - using tango icon theme, i get broken icons for add and extract files
>> - in preferences, no icon for the 'archive' item
>
> Mmm, strange. I will install the svn code to check if I get the same behaviour.
>
>> - selecting open or extract in file context menu does nothing, even is
>> text editor is set to mousepad.
>
> Yeah,it's not yet implemented ;)
>
>> - it's possible to create a new archive, but adding files seems to do
>> nothing, and no archive is really created.
>
> This is because of the different switches for gtar. Could you please tell
> me which switches are involved to create a tar archive? On Linux I do this:
>
> tar -cvvjf /media/sdb10/xa_archives/test.tar.bz2 pixmaps

Well, it's more or less the same with bsd tar :
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=tar

The only difference is that -j flag only exists in openbsd -current
since some months,
but tar -cvjf test.bz2 *.png here works fine and has the same behavior
than gtar.
(and same for tar -cvzf, with or without the -)

Speaking of that, it's not that hard to use bsd tar in place of gnu
tar, it would be simple
to directly build compatible commandlines for both instead of relying
on gtar port.
It's a bit harder for unzip/gunzip/unrar though. bzip2/bunzip2 should
be compatible too.

Landry