new appfinder

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Jan 1 18:01:07 CET 2008

Hey all,

Last two days I've been playing with a little personal project -- no,
I'm not related to Brian, as far as I know ;-) -- and now I'd like to
discuss what to do with it.

It's a new appfinder based on libxfce4menu. If you ask me it's already
much nicer than the old one. Screenshot:

  http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/files/new-appfinder.png

A fun and possibly useful feature is that you can give it an
alternative menu file to read, e.g:

  xfce4-appfinder /etc/xdg/menus/gnomecc.menu

For executing items it now simply runs exo-open:

  exo-open /path/to/app.desktop

I didn't really feel like reimplementing this in xfce4-appfinder.
Benny, will that always work, or could it sometimes open an editor or
perform some other action?

Drag and drop to a launcher config dialog for the panel in trunk also works.

I'm sure many things could be improved, but I also think I should
replace the code in xfce4-appfinder/trunk with this new version.

Any objections to that?

For the curious, you can get it from here:

  http://www.loculus.nl/xfce/files/xfce4-appfinder-4.5.0.tar.bz2

--
        Jasper