google summer of code - thread hijack - now openGL in xfwm4

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:37:45 CET 2008

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> (please let 's not
> do like KDE4... There are already way too many duplication of efforts
> between projects).

I definitely don't want to start a war about desktops here, but I
suspect that the duplication of effort between KDE and the other
desktops is due to the annoying tendency of attempts at unification to
require and promote GLib as the grand solution to everything.  GLib runs
fine in GTK+-based desktops, but in Qt-based desktops, it lags the
system badly and annoys users.

Right now, I'm trying to figure out why gvfs is creating their own
IO-slave concept rather than trying to come up with a unified slave
concept, considering the io-slave concept has been in KDE since version
2, IIRC.