google summer of code - thread hijack - now openGL in xfwm4

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 19:57:55 CET 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 6:32 PM, Kok, Auke <sofar at foo-projects.org> wrote:
> Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
>  > On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 03:19:43PM +0000, Enrico Tröger wrote:
>  >> I agree. There are people who just can't use OpenGL stuff because of
>  >> missing hardware support and there are people (like me) who have the
>  >> hardware to use it, but who don't want to use it.
>  >> I like OpenGL/3D in general for games but my desktop doesn't need it.
>  >> So my vote is, yes add it as a SoC project but require it to be
>  >> optional.
>  >
>  > In any case, the compositor should be activated at run time, like it is
>  > currently.
>
>  please don't hijack the original thread, start a new one!

BTW, I do not think adding OpenGL support in xfwm4 is a good idea...

Compiz kicks ass and it makes no sense to duplicate/reinvent the
wheel. If you want OpenGL compositing, use Compiz (please let 's not
do like KDE4... There are already way too many duplication of efforts
between projects).

*If* you want a cool idea, it would be great to have a "compiz
decorator mode" in xfwm instead, this way xfwm4 could behave either
like a full window manager or just a decorator for compiz.

Cheers,
Olivier.