OT: libstartup-notification?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Feb 25 20:49:53 CET 2008

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> sorry for being off-topic but I'm not sure where to ask this and I know
> some of you might be able to help me. I'll try to get it a little
> on-topic :D.
>
> What exactly is libstartup-notification meant to be?
> Is it to be used by a desktop environment(like Xfce) which calls other
> applications and to get feedback about the started application?
> Or is it meant to be a general interface for applications which start
> other applications?
> And how to use?
>
> The background: I was thinking of adding support for
> libstartupnotification in Geany so that when a user in Xfce starts
> Geany with a panel launcher or via the menu system, Xfce knows that
> Geany is starting up and gives feedback to the user by changing the
> mouse cursor or whatever.
> My understanding of this was, that the started application(Geany) sends
> a signal with libstartupnotification when it has finished starting up.
> But first, I don't know how to do and I don't find any example code.
> And the strange thing is, it seems already to work. When I start Geany
> from the panel(I have a launcher item for it) a new window appears in
> the task list only with the title "geany" and when Geany has finished
> starting the title in the task bar changes to the real Geany window
> title, e.g. "file - dir - Geany".
> So, does startup notification already work without any need of any
> action of the started app itself?
> Or am I completely wrong?

Try adding StartupNotify=true to the app's desktop file, or just check
the box in the panel launcher prefs, and see if it works.  I coulda
sworn that gtk did the startup notification magic automatically now.
Could be wrong, though.  Otherwise, see xfce_exec() in libxfcegui4 for
how we use SN from the launcher side.

	-brian