OT: libstartup-notification?

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Mon Feb 25 14:10:41 CET 2008

Hi,

sorry for being off-topic but I'm not sure where to ask this and I know
some of you might be able to help me. I'll try to get it a little
on-topic :D.

What exactly is libstartup-notification meant to be?
Is it to be used by a desktop environment(like Xfce) which calls other
applications and to get feedback about the started application?
Or is it meant to be a general interface for applications which start
other applications?
And how to use?

The background: I was thinking of adding support for
libstartupnotification in Geany so that when a user in Xfce starts
Geany with a panel launcher or via the menu system, Xfce knows that
Geany is starting up and gives feedback to the user by changing the
mouse cursor or whatever.
My understanding of this was, that the started application(Geany) sends
a signal with libstartupnotification when it has finished starting up.
But first, I don't know how to do and I don't find any example code.
And the strange thing is, it seems already to work. When I start Geany
from the panel(I have a launcher item for it) a new window appears in
the task list only with the title "geany" and when Geany has finished
starting the title in the task bar changes to the real Geany window
title, e.g. "file - dir - Geany".
So, does startup notification already work without any need of any
action of the started app itself?
Or am I completely wrong?

Regards,
Enrico