Dependencies on external dead projects

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 06:37:13 CET 2008

Enrico Tröger wrote:
> Find the attached patch against xfce4-session(SVN r26613) as a
> workaround. The code does read the tips file directly and display a
> random item of it. All fortune support is dropped, also the ability to
> display any fortune message.

This works, however, line wrapping needs some more care.

> Maybe it's better to move xfce4-tips into the xfce-utils module instead
> of xfce4-session? What do you think?

It definitely belongs to the same package as xfce4-about. As for the objection
that it starts with session and thus belongs to xfce4-session, it is not valid,
because the installation of the xfce4-tips-autostart.desktop file will be moved
together with xfce4-tips.

> Also, it would be cool if the tips database would be translatable and
> since with the patch we aren't fixed to the fortune file format, so we
> can choose any format we like to and which works best with
> gettext/intltool.
> Any opinions?

Maybe some sort of XML, like what is done with the menu in Xfce-4.4?

--
Alexander E. Patrakov