compiler warnings

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Dec 25 12:37:19 CET 2008

On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 12:26:45 +0100 Nick Schermer wrote:

> 2008/12/25 Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
> > Any objections?  (This'll go into trunk after we branch for 4.6, not
> > before.)
>
> I fully agree. Personally I already use quite a lot of those my self
> and I bet a lot of components in Xfce will get a hard time to get them
> compiling again (please add -Werror too), but it will greatly improve
> the code quality (although some warnings/errors are just a bit
> annoying).

Excellent.  We already add -Werror for (only) --enable-debug=full.  I
think that's sufficient.  With the variety of compilers people might
use to compile xfce, it might not be possible to eliminate all
warnings, so I'd like there to be a way to generate debug builds
without failing due to a possibly-spurious warning.

> Also using -fstack-protector-all -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 in the list of
> flags to do some buffer overflow detection in debug code.

Good idea; I'll look into those.

	-brian