4.6 documentation efforts

Jean-François Wauthy pollux at xfce.org
Tue Apr 8 22:28:12 CEST 2008

Le mardi 08 avril 2008 à 14:44 -0500, Jim Campbell a écrit :
> Hi Jean-François,

Hi

> Would Stephan's suggestion to create a modules/trunk-docs folder
> address this concern for you?

Yes, it certainly does.

> I could imagine a trunk-docs folder containing a folder with
> documentation for each component, and then those documentation files
> being copied to the appropriate component's doc folder prior to
> release.

Like Alexander already replied there won't be any copying required when
using a trunk-doc 'svn:externals' folder.

> I'm not sure how elegant you'll see this as a solution, but having a
> central repository would make things easier for documentors to access
> and work on, and keeping the documentation folders within each
> component's SVN folder would maintain the modularity of the
> components.

Practically this is not a new repository, or folder in the repository.
It is just a folder with special instruction telling which folder to go
check out elsewhere. This way it can look like a unique folder
containing all doc folders to you.

The only restriction is on committing, you have to commit in each
external folder separately because Subversion does not support a global
commit on externals. But so far, the permissions of the repository does
not allow commit in the modules anyway.

> Let me know if you think that this would be a workable approach, or if
> you have any problems with this.  Thanks,

It is a workable approach but it will require some work to merge patches
against several components in the trunk-doc module into the main
repository since the structure is a bit different (we have similar
issues with the translations).

I won't have time to do it before tomorrow evening (CEST), if anyone
wants to it before that, feel free but just answer this mail to let
everyone knows it's done.

--
Jean-François Wauthy <pollux at xfce.org>