4.6 roadmap of sorts

Olivier Fourdan fourdan at gmail.com
Sun Apr 6 10:33:18 CEST 2008

Hi all.

On Fri, Apr 4, 2008 at 11:57 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>  Moritz was kind enough to set up a sort of roadmap page to help gather
>  in one place the things that need to be done before 4.6 can be released.
>   You can see it here:
>  http://wiki.xfce.org/roadmap_to_46

That's really great and much, much needed. I would like to take this
opportunity to discuss the way we are  I am not sure it addresses one
of the main concern I have with our development scheme.

Don't shoot yet, let me explain :) we are a very small group of
developers with very little time, so placing the bar too high may
cause severe delays in the releases cycle and may discourage some of
us.

Wouldn't it better to choose a time based release cycle, a date we all
agree so that we can then decide what can goes in and what cannot,
depending on each developers availability and agenda.

If something cannot make it in tome for 4.6, no big deal, it will
hopefully make it in 4.8 but at least we shall have 4.6 out before
everybody forgets about Xfce. But since we all know and agree on the
date, we can arrange to make 4.6 stable even if this is not as feature
rich as it was initially planned,

What do you guys think? Please note that this is not incompatible with
current roadmap, it is just that I would like to see some kind of date
in this roadmap otherwise we'll end up doing the same as with 4.4, be
more than 1 year beyond schedule (even if schedule do not mean much
for us, it's still important I think).

Cheers,
Olivier.