libxfce4menu filesystem monitoring

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sat Sep 29 04:19:46 CEST 2007

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 21:59:37 +0200 Jannis Pohlmann wrote:

>   2. Call xfce_menu_monitor_set_vtable() before anything else (but
>      after xfce_menu_init()).

Hrm, why is this not per-XfceMenu?  How should this work with the
user_data parameter?  I call xfce_menu_init() in the menu module's
g_module_check_init() function; presumably I'd call _set_vtable() there
as well, but there's no XfceDesktopMenu at that time yet to pass as
user_data.

And even if there were, it's possible that that XfceDesktopMenu will
get destroyed and replaced with something else, e.g., if the user
disables and reenables the desktop menu.

It looks like you're only allowed to call _set_vtable() once, so this
just doesn't work for me.  (Well, I assume you intended it to be that
way, even if you've forgotten to set xfce_menu_monitor_vtable_set to
TRUE after _set_vtable() is called.)

Not really sure where to proceed from here; this API isn't really
sufficient.  At minimum, I'd like to see the vtable be a
per-XfceMenu-instance thing.

	-brian