libxfce4panel could position panel plugin menus

Nick Schermer nickschermer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 18:07:50 CEST 2007

2007/9/28, Jasper Huijsmans <jasper at xfce.org>:
> I don't disagree with you. I committed it, because it is a development
> branch and it is easy to change. I find it easier to discuss starting
> from an existing implementation ;-)

True

> I agree that having the arrow direction and menu popup in the same
> feels a bit wrong, but it does use the menu positioning calculation,
> so if we still want that it is more efficient to do the calculation
> once.

Optimizing this calculation is not a time saver, so better split it in
2 functions (popup position and arrow direction), avoid code
dupplication and make the api clear. Esp. the last one is important.

> I think adding the xfce_panel_plugin_register_menu() call is a good
> idea, since people tend to forget that.

But that is still possible with a menu popup function if you send the
panel plugins as user_data, something that is common in gtk too.

> Maybe we should reopen the bug report and discuss API changes there?

Yes please.

Nick