config daemon/library for 4.6

Biju Chacko botsie at xfce.org
Thu Sep 6 06:03:03 CEST 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> If we're going to support diverse backends, then we'll need a way to
> pass those up, since backend developers will need to be able to debug
> their work, and potentially have obscure or complex error conditions.

I haven't been following this thread very closely, so forgive me if I'm
off base.

Almost every application I've seen that supported multiple backends had
one backend that worked properly and was used by everybody and all
others were either unimplemented or poorly maintained and
flaky/unusable. Effectively, they had only one backend.

So unless you've definitely identified a use-case for multiple backends,
toss the feature. The plugin infrastructure simply adds complexity for
minimal benefit. You'd be better served by a modular design that allows
for an easy rewrite of the backend if needed.

My INR 0.90 ( 2 cents),

-- b