hacking the terminal

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sun Sep 2 19:16:46 CEST 2007

Okay, I finally got my menu item working (thanks Nick for telling me
the Terminal reads /usr/share/Terminal/Terminal.ui at runtime, so my
changes in the Terminal.ui source code didn't have any effect)

I can now toggle the item on and off in the menu.  But it seems like
the "handler function" i wrote ( http://rafb.net/p/jpIu9c96.html line
1283 - 1296 ) does not get called.  just for testing I've put the
popup command in there to check the functioning of my code.  But
nothing happens!
I also changed toggle_action_entries[]: i attached
terminal_window_action_fullscreen to my broadcast button and i
attached terminal_window_action_broadcast_input to the fullscreen
button, but after make && make install, the fullscreen button still
works as before and my togglebutton doesn't do anything!?
So how do I fix this?

And also, could you give me any pointers on how I could grab the
keyboard input for the active tab and broadcast it to all tabs in the
same window?
To send input to the other tabs, I'm guessing I have to use these
functions on window->notebook:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.11/GtkNotebook.html#gtk-notebook-get-nth-page
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/2.11/GtkNotebook.html#gtk-notebook-get-n-pages

And then I think i should use one of these functions (I'm guessing the
child one is the best for me?) on the terminals:
http://library.gnome.org/devel/vte/unstable/VteTerminal.html#vte-terminal-feed
http://library.gnome.org/devel/vte/unstable/VteTerminal.html#vte-terminal-feed-child

Am I looking in the right direction here? And what would be the best
way to intercept the input going to the active tab (terminal)?
preferably after stuff like keyboard shortcuts are filtered out? Any
help would be welcome :)